Wednesday 11 November 2009

Sex and the city

The other day as I read a headline of a lady claiming that a hedge fund manager in the city had sexually harassed her. As I read the article I saw the name Mark Lowe. The name sounded familiar and I panicked. I practically ran to my desk and checked my business cards but could not find any reference to him. I checked by emails and then I noticed that emails from him regarding his fund. I cannot recollect if I met the person but in the time that I have been in the industry, I never was taken out by anyone to a gentleman's club or were introduced to willing ladies. This I do not say with any regret. I do not know what I would have done if I was made such offers. However I can say with a clear heart that I have not taken any decision with regard to investments based on any action that could be classified as a gift.
I was and I guess I still am sheltered. However I have heard sufficient stories to know that these things do happen in the city. It is a deadly spiral. Banks want more of their clients money. Clients must be kept happy. If certain clients can be kept happy by providing sex then it will be done. In the end the bank is happy for getting the profit. The relationship manager has a more plush cushion. Part of the clients need has got satisfied. If the investments do well then that is an extra bonus.
I do not need to be taken out to keep me happy. Provide me with good ideas, warn me when something bad is going to happen and be truthful to me. Trust is a very fragile commodity. Quite a few times it has been broken by people I least expected to. Now I have learnt that I have to be careful with everyone. I hope the people that broke my trust never find out. They will act as if they love me and I will do the same. However deep down and behind closed doors we know which way the current flows.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment